GOALS + ACTION = SUCCESS (GAS)
Is your motivational tank empty? Fill it up with GAS.
You can make a dramatic change in your life in just 30 days! Let’s say you would like to run two miles without having a heart attack. Or maybe you would like to learn to be able to make cold calls and feel comfortable doing it.
Here is a 30 day program that will demonstrate the power of goals. It begins with a simple five-minute exercise and is followed by one hour every day for thirty days.
I guarantee that it will change your life!
The Power of Goals
Step # 1 Set a Goal
- Pick one of your goals. The goal should not be too big but one that you really want to accomplish. Let’s say you set the goal to run two miles.
- Write the goal on a 3” x 5” card and carry it with you for the next 30 days. Refer to it several times every day. Read it aloud as often as possible.
- Write your goal on a piece of paper and make at lease five copies and hang them up in your home, car and work space so that you will see them often and be reminded of your goal.
- Think about it every time you see one of your signs.
- Review your goal the first thing every morning and the last thing every night.
These reminders will establish your goal firmly in your conscious and sub-conscious minds. This is also very helpful for getting focused on your goal.
Step # 2 Take Action:
No goal is any good without ACTION! In order to succeed you must take action to move towards your goal. Two things are needed here:
- Focus – you must be truly focused on just one goal for the next thirty days. For example, just focus on the one goal of running two miles. Don’t try to start sit ups and push ups and learning Italian all at the same time.
- You must think about your goal often. You must really want to accomplish it. The more you want it the more likely you will achieve it.
- Time – you must spend at least one hour EVERY day working towards your goal. The one hour must be done every day and the time spent must be dedicated to achieving your goal. For example, plan to walk and run for an hour every day doing less walking and more running each day.
Step # 3 Achieve Success:
If you have diligently followed the program for the thirty day period, you will probably be amazed at the results.
You may have achieved your goal before the thirty days were up. If that is the case, then pick another goal and repeat the process. If you start with small goals and work up to bigger goals you will have tremendous confidence in your ability to achieve your goals.
If you did not achieve your goal, determine why.
Did you follow all the steps in the program properly? Did you pick too big a goal or a goal that was too difficult to do in thirty days?
For example if you set a goal to run a marathon in your first month, that may have been an unrealistic goal.
Once you have determined the reason, make the necessary changes and then do this exercise again for the next thirty days and see what happens.
I believe that this program is truly powerful. By focusing on just one goal and taking action toward reaching it, you can accomplish your goal in a shorter time and then move to the next one. It’s like climbing a flight of stairs, one step at a time.
The sky is the limit in your life. If you did all the steps and put this program into practice, then you will have learned a valuable skill that you can apply to other areas of your life.
Bruce is a motivational speaker and conducts seminars and workshops
Contact him for your next event
**originally published Oct 2012